Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blessing of the Week




I have decided that it is time for me to do my blessing of the week. The thing I am greatful for this week is My Husband! We have now been married for over 10 years. As many of you know he and Dad left yesterday for their week long backpacking trip. It has been only 24 hours and I miss him tremendously.
I was cleaning up my room today and I came across a letter he wrote for me for our anniversary. He wrote a letter listing 10 things that he loved about me. It was better than any gift I could have received. It made me feel so special. You get so involved in the day to day stuff that it is nice to rekindle those special feelings.
I was thinking tonight of how much I missed him. Even the snoring :). It reminded me of the first week that we met. One night we were having one of our three+ hour conversations on the phone. He started quoting Disney movies. I couldn't believe this handsome young man knew Disney movies word for word. I was shocked and totally smitten. I can specifically remember him quoting the movie Robin Hood. He even used the accent; "Absense makes the heart grow fonder."; "Or forgetful." I remember it so well. It is so true though.... Absense definitely makes the heart grow fonder! I cannot wait for him to get home.
I'd like to share a special story. On our first date we went to Seaport Village. We spent hours just walking and talking. We had both just gotten out of long relationships and honestly weren't interested in anything serious. We both felt such a connection that scared the heck out of both of us. We were scared of even the slightest of touch. At the end of the night we went on the Carousel. At the end of the ride as the carousel was slowing down, my horse slowly made its way to the highest possible point. It was as if someone was pushing it up as high as it could go. Being a tall 5 feet 2 inches, getting down was not going to be easy. Mike reached out and took my hand and helped me off the horse. The moment he grabbed my hand the both of us felt a spark! Literally. We knew at that moment that this was going to be something special. A while later we told the carousel story to my mother. She made a comment that has stuck in my head ever since. My father had passed away just a few years prior. She said that she would bet on the fact that my dad "helped" push that horse up to the highest point. I truly do feel that my dad was my angel that night. I don't know that we would have progressed the way we did if it had not been for that spark.
I am so greatful that Mike didn't let me talk him out of going on our first date (long story)...I am greatful for his family and for instantly accepting me into the family. He knew that if I passed the sister test... I was in!
I am so greatful for all that he does for me and for our family. He is not only my husband, but he truly is my best friend.

4 comments:

Shelli said...

What a great story! Thanks for showing us a different side of Michael. We're so glad he brought you into the family!

Vidal's Nest said...

Very sweet! It's nice to hear another side of mike that he doesn't show to his mean sisters!
We know he is a great dad and it is nice to know he is a great husband as well.
For sure a great blessing!

Ginger said...

Thanks for sharing. You are loved and appreciated for who and what you are.

DANI KYNASTON said...

We are so glad that Mike chose you. You are a great addition to our family! We are also glad that he is treating you well and not running you off. :-)