Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cancelled Date Night

Mike and I were supposed to go out on a date tonight. The babysitter was all set and ready to go.....Unfortunately we had to cancel.. Our budget was all used up on a stupid $200 tire that we had to purchase....We were both pretty bummed out. We were looking forward to spending some time together.
We still got that chance. Our great neighbors Frank and Ona were just called to serve an 18 month mission at the Bishop's Storehouse. They have been so great to us, so we offered to come down today and help.
What a fantastic day! We got there first thing this morning after dropping the kids off at school. Frank and Ona were nice enough to allow us to bring Jimmy along with us. We spent the day helping others. We stocked shelves, assisted families and other various tasks that were needed. Mike also got to drive a forklift. :) Jimmy even helped by stocking shelves and stacking boxes. The day was spend doing labor, but not once did I feel tired. It felt fantastic being able to help our wonderful neighbors and also those that are struggling right now. You could see the look of relief on their faces when their cars were filled with food. You could actually see their shoulders being lifted from the weight they were obviously carrying.
So, no... Mike and I didn't get our date night. Instead we spent hours together serving others. It was a great day!

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I don't think you could have had a better time if you did the 'real date'. I am so impressed whenever I go to the storehouse. I am overwhelmed at the perfection of the Lord's church. It covers every area of our lives. I have seen so many blessed by this wonderful resource. I wish more members would go and see for themselves what it is. Proud of you both.

Vidal's Nest said...

Bummer about the tire. Sound like you had a little time together still.Way to go agreeing to go work there!
i tagged you check out my blog.

Shelli said...

I'm glad you had that opportunity! It's an unconventional date, but what a great way to spend time together.