Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why do these things happen?

I know we have all asked this question... Why is this happening to me/us? I have been asking myself that question over the last couple of days. I woke up Sunday morning with EXCRUCIATING stomach pain. I am talking the kind that has you rolled up in a little ball. I assumed that I was just having a bad stomach flu. By the late afternoon I was almost in tears it hurt so badly. It was as bad as the labor pains I experienced with Katie (before the drugs :) )... So I decided it was time to go and have this checked out. After spending hours and hours at the ER... my cat scan revealed that I had an ovary colapse and an ovarian cyst rupture at the same time. But, apparently both of those things are fairly common... just not at the same time. But this also caused my appendix to get irritated. So for the next 24-48 hours I have to rest and be aware of any worse pain... especially on the right side. I am feeling SO much better than I was on Sunday. The pain is almost non-existant; with the exception of some sharp pains here and there once in a while. Stupid ovaries ( I am done with them anyways!) I am just extrememly tired.
So, yes, I have been asking myself why is this happening to me? Here are some of the conclusions I have come up with:
1. To make me realize and appreciate how great our ward is. I have mentioned our sweet, dear neighbors across the street. (The one that planted the apple tree) Mike went over to borrow a heating pad. When they got to church they informed the bishop/relief society president about how sick I was. (I did not know yet what was wrong with me). As soon as church was over we got a call from our home teacher and our Bishop. Our neighbors, Frank and Ona, came over immediately to offer dinner and to make sure we were taken care of. They made us a fantastic dinner last night. So good in fact that Eberly said "Gosh Mom. You should get sick more often". I also received a call yesterday from the relief society saying they would like to bring our family dinners for the next couple of days. I felt silly accepting since I was already feeling so much better and Mike would be home; but they wouldn't take no for an answer. They offered to pick up the kids too. What a great ward we have.
2. To again gain appreciation for the Power of the Priesthood. When Frank and Ona came over, right before I went to the ER, he and Mike gave me a blessing. What a wonderful experience. While I was still in pain, it was not nearly as severe as even a few minutes before. Instantly I knew I was going to be okay.. Because trust me, I thought I was going to die.
3. To appreciate my friends. I had planned on taking the kids and one of Eberly's friends to the beach tomorrow. Those plans have now changed so I called my friend to cancel the "play date". After I told her what happened, she offered to take the kids to school (even though they attend different schools) and to make us dinner on Thursday. I told her that I should be fine on Thursday and it wouldn't be necessary. I told her I would feel silly if I was totally up to par and she was bringing me dinner. She just laughed at me and said "SO WHAT!!!!" "Now it is one less thing you have to worry about on Thursday."
4. Mike now knows what I have been through. He has had 4 trips to the ER in the last year and a half. It has been quite stressful. He now appreciates what I went through and how hard it is to see your sweetheart suffering.
5. It has also helped Mike to appreciate ME in general. He has been so worried about me that he has been waking up all through out the night to make sure I was okay. He has also come to realize that those dishes don't wash themselves and those clothes don't get clean magically.
6. To make ME appreciate housework. It is amazing how quickly you miss being able to do the little things. I get yelled at right now if I even try to do some cleaning. I actually miss being able to clean my own house. But I am supposed to be resting.
7.To make me appreciate my health. I think sometimes we take for granted feeling good. Those that are mothers understand that we are in a constant state of tired. But when we get sick we realize how strong we really are. I miss being JUST tired.
8. Made me realize how much I am loved. Mike contacted Dad to let him know what was going on. I don't think a half an hour went by where he wasn't texting Mike asking how I was and what was happening. He called yesterday just to see how "his girl" was doing and to have Mike hug me for him. Mike's cell phone died in the hospital... Since we live only minutes away he went home to get mine. When he got back he had beautiful home made cards from the kids. Mike has barely let me breathe on my own for the last day or so. He has told me how much he loves me over and over again. My mom and sister have called regularly to check on me and see how I am doing. And my friends have also showed such great love and concern. I am so thankful for those who have shown me such great love.

So basically I am not happy that I have gotten sick. But I think we need to look at the bright side of things in order to survive them. So yes... I feel awful! But, I have gained a lot through this experience too!

4 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

What a great way to look at things. I am impressed! I often reflect on how blessed I was with my pregnancies by others and their acts of kindness. It has stayed with me and now I want to be able to pay it forward. It meant so much and made it bearable.
I often find it hard to focus on the positive lately and is something I really want and need to change.Thanks for this post. It is a good example to me of a different way to look at my trials!
I am SO glad you are doing better and it was something the Dr's could get a handle on. Are they going to remove the ovaries or leave them because of the hormone issues?
You will be in our prayers!

Shelli said...

This seems to be the year of living dangerously for you guys! I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did, but I'm so glad you had so much support, too. It is a nice boost for others to realize how much you do and how much you mean to them. I'm glad you're feeling better!

Ginger said...

I am against both ovaries and uterus. I would like to them all destroyed after the last child is born. I guess there is a blessing in every trial if you look for it, but don't scare us again. We love you.

DANI KYNASTON said...

It is such a huge blessing to have such a great support system. I love that about the Church. I miss having family close like you have but the Church sure makes up for it.