Monday, August 11, 2008

My boys



I am going to try and make a long story as short as I can, but that is easier said than done. A lot of you already know the beginning of this story.
Mike and I have a special group of "boys" in our lives. They are young men that Mike has taught since they were the age of 12. He taught them in some way until they left for their missions. They have been in our lives for most of our marriage. Katie, Sara and Jimmy don't know that life exists without these young men. Eberly was about 18 months or so when they first came into our lives. Our story is living proof that you never know in what ways a "simple" calling can change and affect your lives.
Our boys have brought so much to our lives. They made regular visits to our home throughout the years. They were the only babysitters our kids ever knew. They always seemed to have this special intuition when I was having a bad day. I would get a phone call out of the blue "Hey Sister Proffitt! Whatcha doing? Can we come over?" I always wondered how they knew. When Mike was working grave yard shifts, they would show up on a regular basis to keep me company and help with the kids. They have been a major part in our lives.
Well two years ago we started having to say goodbye. Our first boy left on his mission to August of 2006. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I don't know how moms do it. They aren't "technically" my sons, but it was so hard to say goodbye. Katie cried for hours after we had to say goodbye. We had the wonderful experience even of taking one of our boys, Ricky, to the MTC. Mike still makes fun of me because I cried off and on from Utah until we got to Las Vegas. I though it would get easier, but it hasn't. I miss them more and more it seems like.
Receiving their letter is amazing. You can hear the growth just in their letters. And amazingly enough; they still have their intuition of when I am having a bad day. I always seem to get a letter from one of them when I just not up to par.
Well, the wait is over! They are coming home! Kyle returned home from his mission on Wednesday. It was indescribable how good it felt to hear his voice. I was amazed at the maturity I could hear.
They boys have been so worried that the kids would forget them. Not a chance! Even Jimmy, who was not yet two when they started leaving, gave Kyle the biggest hug when he saw him! You show him a picture of any of the 8 boys and he can name them in a heartbeat! They know who their family is.
We had the wonderful experience of attending Kyle's homecoming talk yesterday. The spirit was so strong in that chapel when he spoke. He spoke of something Mike had taught his when he was twelve and how he used that in his mission. It was proof that you never know who or how you may touch in your callings. He remembered something that was taught to him 9 years ago!
We have had so many wonderful experiences with them. They have allowed us to share so much of their lives. And now we get to experience the joy of welcoming them home.

6 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

I've heard you guys talk about them before and know how much they mean to your family! How wonderful you stay in touch!

Jim Proffitt said...

These guys will be a part of your lives forever. What a great thing!

Ginger said...

Who would have thought such a rich blessing could come from a church calling. It just shows the blessings we receive when we are willing to serve others.

DANI KYNASTON said...

How wonderful! What great examples these young men are to your kids as well. I remember Bro. Otley in our ward and how he spoke of his wonderful mission experiences. I wanted to serve a mission so badly when I heard those fun stories. I am sure it will be the same for your kids. I find that I serve the Lord to pay a debt but in the end, I am even more indebted.

Shelli said...

How wonderful to have them coming home! I look forward to the day when my boys (and girls!) get home from their missions. What a great experience this has been for all of you!

Mike, Suzann and Family said...

I love the boys there are awesome. I get Garrett
Eberly