Friday, October 29, 2010

Light the Night


Every year Crimestoppers puts on a 5k run. It is apparently a pretty big competition among different police departments to see who can get the most participants. Mike, Katie and I decided to participate this year. I was very nervous...1. I haven't been very good at running lately. 2. I went to a concert the night before. 3. I had to run 2 booths at the Halloween Carnival that same day. I honestly didn't know how I was going to have the energy to do it. So I told myself that I would just walk it. I would let Katie and Mike run it.

We got there..after sitting in a ton of traffic. I had NO clue what a big event this was. I swear every cop in the city, that wasn't working, was there. It was awesome. We signed in, got our nifty glow in the dark t-shirts and got ready to...walk :)

Well we started at almost the end of the pack. It was just so crowded. Once we passed the starting line everyone started to thin out. My Katie was ready to go and to my surprise so was I. So I actually started running and I was able to keep up with Mike and Katie...for a little while. I could see that I was slowing my poor Katie Kat down so I let her and Mike go on up running 3/4 of the race. I only walked for about 1/4 of it. I was so proud of myself. But I was more proud of my little girl. She ran the 5k in 40 minutes! (I came in at 43). We figured out she came in 9th place for girls in her age category. SOOOO proud of her.

It turned out being a great night. I did way better than I thought would. I thought it would take me 2 hours to walk the thing. Not only did we support a good cause but it has motivated all three of us to get working and beat our time next year. In the words of Katie "I'm gonna kick their butts next year."

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Congrats!!! It sounds like fun! We are all doing the march of dimes walk as a family next week-- assuming that Terence doesn't have to work all night the night before. We'll see how Brie manages 3 miles....