Saturday, May 2, 2009

My little runner

Anyone that had been following me on facebook knows that my Katie has become quite the little runner. At school they have a running club. Everyday they she does running club she comes home with a 9 or 10 stamped on her hand indicating she ran that many laps. Her teacher is amazed by her. "You realize she is running with the fast boys right?" I have been trying for a long time to get her to play soccer. But those that know my little bear know that she is intimidated quite easily. She is not a fan of head on competition like that. Long story short.. I had been talking to a friend about trying to find some sort of running club.... I should have spoke up a lot sooner. He immediately gave me information for a FABULOUS running club. She is now a member of the SoCal Roadrunners. She started practice about a month ago.


am so thrilled with this group. ALL the coaches are extremely supportive. They adore her. They love the fact that she is always smiling. She runs/practices with a group of kids ranging in the age group of 7-17. What a great group of kids. She came in late in the season and they all cheer her on and have helped her to learn the ropes.




She has now competed in 2 track meets. She is definitely distance runner. She is not a fan of the sprints. But she has had to compete in only sprints. They have not had the distance races in her age group.




I am just so proud of Katie. Last week was her first track meet. She got quite nervous before her race. There were a couple of tears. I was so impressed with the little girls she was racing with. They were from a different running group, but when they saw she was upset they hugged her and played with her to get her mind of her nerves. It was adorable. Katie did much better nerve wise today...but those same girls came and hugged her when they saw her.
She ran the 100m and the 200m last Saturday and today she ran in the 100m, 200m and the 400m. She shaved 2 seconds off her 200m.
Go Katie!

5 comments:

The Northwest Bunch said...

You changed your blog layout, very cute!!!

How fun that she had found a sport that she loves to compete in.

She has found a passion and has "RUN" with it. GO KATIE!!

Ginger said...

I think running is the best sport. It is something that can stay with you forever. I just wish I never quit! She is absolutely adorable. I have to see her at the next meet. Love your new blog look.

Juli said...

I love her smile! She is so cute. I love to hear about everyone's activities. I can't wait to see how Katie does in the distance runs.

Shelli said...

Go Katie! How wonderful that you found something that she enjoys and is good at.

Unknown said...

Whohoo Katie! Any sport builds confidence and looks like you found a great group of kids. Your kids are growing up so fast:) Thank you Mike for calling. We're so glad to be back in touch. Let's bbq this summer.